Wreningham is part of a Benefice of 2 parishes with 8 churches known as the Upper Tas Valley Benefice. This Benefice is part of the Deanery of Humbleyard in the Diocese of Norwich.
On 13th September 2018, the Reverend Lydia Avery was licensed as the interim Priest-in-Charge of this benefice for a 5 year term. Revd. Lydia can be contacted at The Rectory, 16 The Fields, Tacolneston, Norwich, NR16 1DG. Tel: 01953 788227.
The parishes in this Benefice are: Fundenhall St Nicholas and Upper Tas Valley All Saints, which is a parish with 7 churches: Ashwellthorpe All Saints, Forncett St Edmunds, Forncett St. Mary, Forncett St Peter, Hapton St Margarets, Tacolneston All Saints and Wreningham All Saints. Each church has an appointed churchwarden who, with the Rector, is responsible for the day to day care of their church. Most of the churches has a management sub-committee to support the churchwarden, which reports to the main Parochial Church Council (PCC).
The Wreningham Churchwarden is Christine Minns, High Gables, Church Road, Wreningham, NR16 1BH. Tel: 01508 488123.
Within the Benefice there is a wide selection of styles of service catering for different peoples’ preference. Wreningham All Saint has a 9.30 am. BCP Holy Communion service on the first Sunday of each month.
The churchyard is maintained by volunteers and is regularly trimmed and the hedges cut. We have a team of helpers for church cleaning and a flower rota which ensures that the church is always welcoming.
The church is normally unlocked between 9 am and 4 pm every day.
All Saints Church is a listed building and the oldest part of the church is the base of the tower which is 13th century. The chancel dates from the 14th century, the nave from the 15th century. The church was restored and the tower rebuilt in the middle of the 19th century after the tower collapsed in 1852. At this time the north transept was added using the original windows from the north wall for the east and west windows. At the same time the porch was rebuilt and enlarged.
In 1887 two south facing windows were installed to mark Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
There are 2 windows dedicated to the memory of the Upcher family. The East window, in memory of Rev. Arthur W Upcher who was rector of Wreningham and Ashwellthorpe for 43 years 1852–96 and the north window in the transept is dedicated to his son Somerville Hay Upcher.
In 2012 the window in the tower has to be repaired and a stained glass roundel was incorporated to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.
At the same time the east window in the north transept was repaired and etched memorials were incorporated. One marking the service to the church by Mr Dennis Long who served as churchwarden and organist for over 50 years The other commemorates our links with the All Saints Mission in Zimbabwe, All Saints Church, Wreningham in Chivu Province and founded by a member of the Upcher family.
The pulpit is Victorian with Jacobean style carvings. The font is 15th century octagonal with a wooden cover. The organ is installed in the north transept.
There are 4 bells in the tower which have been the subject of a number of projects over 5 centuries. They were last restored 30 years ago and rededicated in 1981. Each bell is dedicated to the memory of a late parishioner. The bells which are in regular use can only be chimed.